I.D. 4 council has set nomination and election dates for the 2021 general election as follows:
Nomination Day — Monday July 26, 10am-12pm
Election Day — Monday August 23, 10am-7pm
Both events will be held at the Waterton Community Centre, 201 Cameron Falls Dr, Waterton Park.
The election legislation for I.D. 4 is outlined in Ministerial Order MSD: 002/21.
Summer Village Election Processes
I.D. 4 Council approved summer village election processes to allow the I.D. to hold the election in either July or August (and receive nominations in June or July). The benefits to the ID are:
- the process will ensure the majority of residents are in the area to vote and run for a council seat; and
- greater opportunity for larger interest in the election and higher voter turnout.
Who is eligible to vote?
In accordance with the Ministerial Order, you are eligible to vote in the election if you:
are 18 years old, a Canadian citizen, reside in Alberta on election day, and if your place of residence has been with the I.D. for a cumulative total of 150 days in the 12 months preceding election day.
Alternatively, you can be eligible to vote if (i) you are 18, a Canadian citizen and you are named as the assessed person for a property within ID No. 4, or (ii) you are 18, a Canadian citizen and the spouse or adult interdependent partner of a person referred to in (i).
Who is eligible to run as a candidate?
- you must be eligible to vote (see above), and
- you have resided in Alberta for the six consecutive months immediately preceding nomination day.
Do you maintain a residence in Waterton, and are you interested in running for office but are unable to because you are not named as the assessed person for your property? Municipal legislation allows municipalities to record a new assessed person. The municipality must receive consent from the current assessed person, and the newly recorded assessed person must “occupy the land,” which is interpreted to be a primary shareholder or resident of an assessed property who maintains, and temporarily resides in a residence/property in Waterton.
If you are interested in voting or running for office and would like to know more about becoming a newly assessed person in order to become eligible, or if you have general questions about the election or voter and candidate eligibility, please contact the I.D. 4 CAO, Abe Tinney, at 403-752-3322 (ext. 1007), or email@example.com.
Nominations papers can be found on the Government of Alberta website.
If you are interested in running for office but would like more information please view the Nomination Package (forthcoming).
You can also:
• Read the Alberta Municipal Affairs document on Running for Municipal Office in Alberta.
• Speak with existing or past I.D. Councillors
• Contact CAO Abe Tinney: 403-752-3322 (ext. 1002), firstname.lastname@example.org
• Consult Municipal elections | Alberta.ca